Happy almost Thanksgiving! Our kitchens are in full swing getting ready for this wonderful holiday. Today, we are bring YOU a DELICIOUS dessert that you will want to make over and over again. Yes, the list looks quite long, but once you have these little bites of heaven, you won’t care, TRUST US. Thanks Confessions of a Confectionista for the wonderful recipe! We modified it to add some more fall flavor. You NEED to make this right NOW and you can thank us later. :) Serving size 12.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4-5 cups flour
Ingredients for cinnamon filling:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp butter (room temperature)
Ingredients for apple filling:
- 5 medium apples
- 2 tbsp butter
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting:
- 2oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Stir warm water, yeast, and 1 tbsp sugar together in a stand alone mixer bowl. Let the yeast rise for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and oil.
- In a different bowl, sift flour and salt together.
- Add one cup of the flour and the remaining sugar into the water and yeast mixture. Mix together with the hook attachment on slow speed.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the stand alone bowl and continue to mix on slow speed.
- Continue to add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl. (It will be sticky to touch.)
- Grease a large bowl with oil. Place the dough into the bowl and turn once to coat. Cover and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the apple filling. Peel and core apples. Cut into small pieces.
- Place apples into a pot. Add butter and simmer on low heat until apples are soft but not falling apart, stirring occasionally. Once ready, let them cool to room temperature.
- While the apples are simmering, prepare the cinnamon filling. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch in a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Line a 9×13 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the dough is ready, place onto a floured surface. Roll it out to an approximate size of 9×13.
- Take the 3 tbsp butter and spread over the surface in small pieces on the dough leaving about 1 inch untouched on the farthest side. Sprinkle with cinnamon filling, cover with apples (make sure to remember to keep 1 inch untouched on the farthest side).
- Tightly roll the dough, starting with the side closest to you ending up with the untouched edge of the dough (this helps it stick). Push the apples back in as you roll.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and place them unto the prepared baking sheet. Cover them with a dish towel and let rest for about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Bake until slightly golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the cream cheese frosting by whipping together all the ingredients until well incorporated.
- When the cinnamon rolls are ready, take them out of the oven and spread the frosting on top.
Gobble them up!!!!
Questions? Comments? Please share!
Natalya & Ruth